I have been 61 years old for 26 days.
I am 5’7″ tall. I weigh 171 pounds with a waistline that measures 39″ at the navel. It’s a ‘flabby’ 171 pounds, carrying around about 16 pounds too much weight, much of it is the excess body fat I want to eliminate through diet and exercise.
Since tomorrow is January 1st, 2014, and since this is the day we typically make new year’s resolutions (that last about one to two weeks), I going to make a few for myself here and now.
1. I will lose that 15-16 pounds of fat by exercising six days a week – some of those days ‘hard’ and strenuous exercise; and some other days ‘soft’ and flexible exercise – yoga, stretching, and other movements that work the physique but does not punish it. (To facilitate this resolution, I spent money, that, if not used, will definitely prove to have been a waste of funds – I joined a Gold’s Gym – opening officially in April, 2014, in Montclair, but giving me basically three ‘free’ months to use other Gold’s Gym locations while they finish building the one in Clairmont. $59.00 initiation fee and $24.00 for the first month up front… but no other dues until the Clairmont club site opens.)
2. I will follow the eating concept of a Paleo-like diet, with Michael Pollan’s idea of, “Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” I will eliminate from my diet for 2014 all wheat products, mostly grains, especially if they contain gluten. I will also eliminate all sugars – real and artificial. Learn to drink beverages I usually add sugars (Splenda, etc.) to without them. My beverage of choice will be water (filtered/purifies), teas, both black and green / hot and cold, and coffee, with HWC (heavy whipping cream). No more sodas – regular or diet – and no fruit juices. Additional protein, after what is extracted from the fruits and vegetables, will come in the form of eggs (any style), and small amounts (3-6 ounces) of meats – grass-fed beef, fish (deep-water/wild-caught), shellfish (lobster, shrimp, salmon, tuna, talapia, mussels, etc.), pork in the form of bacon and ham, and occasionally some chicken or turkey.
3. I will work every day to better my voice and breath control as I sing lead, and sometimes baritone, with Jim, Eric, and Danny as part of the Southern Gospel group Gospel Way Quartet. Doing this has been a long-time coming, but God has finally given me the opportunity to share his love and message in song and fellowship.
4. I will focus much more on making 2014 my year of minimalism. I will give away/sell/donate as much of my excess in possessions and trim away things until I am left with only that which is usable, constant, or with which I find personal beauty and/or utility – everything else is subject to elimination. “Enjoy More with Less” is an oft-quoted motto.
5. I will strive to be the husband and help-mate my wonderful wife Bonnie deserves; remembering marriage is not a 50/50% proposition but 100/100% means of being with and supporting one another.
So, there you have it. A few resolutions, some physique goals (get down to a lean, defined 155 lbs. with a waistline measured at 32″ and a body fat percentage under 18%), and a desire to reach these goals in six months… Target date: 07/01/2014.